15 October 1917 Evacuation of Slypskapelle

The municipality of Slijpskapelle being gradually destroyed by the violence of war, its remaining inhabitants were forced to leave their homes on 15 October 1917. The village was completely annihilated a few days later, sparing nothing but a handful of houses and the local chapel. 

The photo shows the Slijpskapelle chapel.

Photo: collection bibliotheek Moorslede.